Sweet Nostalgia

    For the past five months, all I've done is writing one draft after the other for my dissertation, so of course, writing a post wasn't on my mind because all I would do would be ranting and rambling on. I already do that enough every day, and I'm lucky that the people who're at the receiving end haven't cut me off already. I am thankful. And grateful. But this post is dedicated to and inspired by a beautiful show, a k drama that compelled me to write. I've been regularly watching k dramas since last year, and to be honest, I've come across some great ones which made me cry, laugh, think and smile. Quite a few of them are really good, and I can't help fangirling about them especially shows like It's Ok to not be Ok where the story is so intricately woven that you feel like you've discovered something incredible. However, among all of us, the most recent one that I finished watching just a little while ago was Romance is a Bonus Book. Please don't go by the name because it's not your cliché rom-com. Realistic grounding, relatable characters, and the everyday struggles of the characters make a good storyline, but the best part is the context it is set in. It's a publishing house, and if you love reading, love discussing stories, love the smell of books, enjoy watching people talk about books, or just love holding a book in hand, it's a true delight. Scenes in the office library, book readings, book cafes, or watching people getting excited about stories and writing make you fall in love with the show and the characters. Since I'm not too fond of spoilers, so relax; I won't divulge any information that might rob you of an authentic experience of the show. More importantly, watching this show made me fall in love with reading again. It reminded me of what I loved about reading and took me back to all those times I felt so happy just holding a book in my hand. Sometimes I forget how important that feeling is. I try to read every day, even if it's just a couple of pages from a book I've read before, and there's this one dialogue in the show that will stay with me for long.

 "If you reread a book you read when you were ten, it feels completely different because we have changed. The book you have hasn't changed. I'm pretty sure it's you who changes. The heart of the reader has changed" 

The show also makes use of 'book' as a metaphor and compares it to people : 

"People are like a book. As we flip each of the pages, we know more about them. And it's really exciting. Whether they are good or not. Nevermind. It's just a story written for them for us to learn."

Oops, I just realized that I've begun to quote dialogues pretty similarly to the way I've written my discussion chapter. I'm sorry, but when you spend hours writing in one form, it's hard to let it go. Aren't most things like that? Even the most inconspicuous things and events end up becoming a part of your lives, and it isn't easy to imagine life without them. I feel that now I'm losing on what I was going to write next toh abhi ke liye itna hi.. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To be or.. not to be

In between worlds and places

Fading footprints