Bringing anachronistic hues to the present

      Imagination is a gift to mankind for sure and for people like me who thrive on hypothetical scenarios inspired by great content, it’s a beautiful vicarious experience right? Ah, I didn’t want to sound like this. In fact the drafts I had written prior to the post were reeking of another class of emotions and experiences be it the exam woes, stress of living or rather surviving, feelers of uncertainty every now and then and what not. But. What inspired me to write this post in a go and publish it was yet another show. I think stories in any and every form constantly remind me of pieces of your past selves and glimpses of the future and the show which left me feeling this way was Reply 1988. Before you think I have become a kdrama addict, let me clear the air- yes. I have been sucked in the beautiful blackhole of Korean shows and there’s no escape (neither the desire to leave it behind). So simply put, it’s a charming show with the story set in the late 80’s and early 90’s and proves to be an amazing 20 hour journey justifying the phrase we’ve all heard ‘yeh unn dinon ki baat hai’. The show is set in a time where there no mobiles, no Wifi or any such means of communication and entertainment (that are common as dirt now) but in no way were the lives of the characters any less interesting or happening. In fact, it looked fun in its rawest form be it the thrill and excitement of finally watching a movie in a theatre or parties defined only by the company of your friends and fancy food – although the latter hasn’t changed much, right? Or maybe I’m one of those few people who believe ki ‘ kuch cup coffee or company bhi toh party hai’. To be honest, parts of my old school self also felt validated that added to the joy especially the scenes where seemingly insignificant moments oozed charm. In fact I was just discussing this with one of my friends a couple of days back – of how Whatsapp couldn’t compete Limited Instant Messages, the landline being the only ray of hope or the unparalleled allure of handwritten letters (I’m a proud possessor of them courtesy my friend!) 

    The series spell nostalgia in the best possible form and emphasizes on friendship at it’s core. What I liked best about the show was that it portrayed the essence of friendship, the comfort of being yourself and being accepted by a close knit group of people who might have different goals or personalities but are there for you and just their presence in all your highs and lows serving monumental significance. I couldn’t help thinking about two of my best friends, who are now in for a long haul and there’s no going away (Plus we’re too old to build such a relationship with new people. Yes, that’s a fact, at least for meJ) I hope and wish that years later we can all look back at our silly and brazen selves over the years, joke about the false existential crisis we thought we had and continue to be as close as we are now. I don’t mean to sound sentimental, I’m sorry if I do but ughh or should I say aiggoo (Korean slang!) friends are the family you choose and even if there days you’re not in touch or are mad at them, hang on to them closely. Kuch zyada hi likh diya shayad, isleye abhi ke liye itna hi..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To be or.. not to be

In between worlds and places

Fading footprints